Monday, July 26, 2010

A few weeks ago I discovered a German beer bar, the 'Klimperkasten', in a place just outside of Hamburg’s city limits. It’s run by Achim, an ex Hells Angel. “Hmm how ex does an Angel get?” I ask myself, as he cruises into the carpark on his black fatbob.
The first time I’d met Achim was when he’d organised the ‘Steller Bike Meet’, a festival of promising proportion, now in it’s third year. There was live music on a sizable stage and Achim was in charge. He asked my name and where in Australia I was from, then leaped up on that stage to grab the microphone and introduced me, telling people to make me feel welcome. The beer flowed freely for me after that! And I am asking myself why the hell nobody has ever done that for me before?! Free drinks just because I live in the Gong… surely that’s got to be worth something where-ever I go!

The next morning I vaguely remember an approximate double digit number of beers that I was almost forced to politely consume and am surprised that one Panadol actually did the job. I also remember that I got told to meet the gang at this season’s next big be-there-or-be-square event. Harley Days Hamburg attract around 60 000 enthusiasts each year and recently there’s been a little political controversy marring the event. It almost did not go ahead this time…however, we are back in business and Achim’s patrons have decided to meet for a run to the big smoke on judgement day. Hamburg is a harbour city and in it’s industrial area is ‘The Grossmarkt’ with plenty of space and facilities for this event, which is well organised and a great number of volunteers assist in the smooth operation. The three-day festival sports plenty of entertainment in a variety of city locations. There are bands, there is a shine’n show with prizes to be awarded, test rides, stunt displays and loads of food and drink and of cause bike related paraphernalia. The highlight of the weekend is undoubtedly the ride on Sunday. Ten thousand Harleys rocked up to ride the Harbour route.

Whilst I did not get to catch up with Achim, I was happy to run into Erwin again, with whom I had made the acquaintance at an earlier bike event. He suggested for me to hop on the back of his Road King, which sent me into a bit of a spin. About 30 years ago I had promised myself never to pillion again unless in case of an emergency…
‘But I don’t have a helmet’, was my response.
My friend Ursula then dragged me along to a number of helmet stalls to fit me into a brain bucket that was just about as protective as a pushbike helmet…nothing like my brand new SHOEI, which is gathering dust on the Australian home shelf. The HD test ride people were prepared to lend me a proper HD helmet and Erwin draped me in his XXL jacket.

Half an hour later I noticed that my cheeks were hurting from grinning so much at all those people lining the streets, waving and cheering as we, amongst ten thousand Harleys, thundered past. Who said HD riders don’t greet?! I have proof they do!

I felt safe and unusually comfortable leaning against the Road King’s backrest. Erwin is clearly an experienced rider, who’d done the miles and recently returned from a trip of Route 66. He is totally converted! It was a sunny summer’s Sunday and all roads were sectioned off and traffic lights deemed un-obeyable by all. At one stage the convoy stopped and things got a bit hot around us, but it was short lived and simply meant we got to chat to other bikers complaining about the heat. None had ever been caught in full leather gear in Sydney summer traffic jams, so there was no point to disagree.
By the way, I’m getting a tan over here, while you guys are hog-ging the heater! Jealous?

Ps.: Ursula has got me lined up for a test ride at HD HQ in Hamburg…hmmm, which one will I choose?

Love,
Taina.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great shot in "our" T shirt Taina... Baz

Unknown said...

Hey Taina

It's Kate here from Tourism Wollongong - we love the shirt!! Thanks for posting the link to our facebook page.

Safe travels...

Kate and the team at Tourism Wollongong