Thursday, December 2, 2010

More Rain...

December is here in Australia and we expect to enjoy the Beach, the pool or take the bike out for an afternoon spurt, but oh no! Not here. It has been pouring for three days and there is no end in sight.

Which makes me think about gear.

Back in the 'good' old days I used to own a high quality set of sailing overalls, which were lost somewhere roadside in Italy and sorely missed ever after. They were signal orange and certainly did not leak. Sure, they were a little bulky to carry (I am certain that's the reason why they got lost), but they fitted well in all the right places and they were made to be seen.

When I first got my Ninjalista some six years ago, I bought myself another wet weather overall. It was my Rjays yellow and black one piece and didn't I cop flak for wearing that thing...(rolls eyes).

"it looks like a parachute...yellow submarine...bumble bee..."

It was a great suit, especially after I had asked my daughter to give it a bit of a wipe down and she happened to be a little heavy handed on the detergent. The next time I had to use it was on a trip South through the Reefton Spur and boy did I have a great time sliding my bum from side to side in those tight 35s...it seemed effortless. (until the next day when those leg muscles started to re-introduce themselves :()

But, it started to leak where it counts and where most of them give in under pressure: the crotch.

So I went to MCA to buy me another one...ummm... "discontinued, but there is a range of colours here, hunney" says this young Westie chick and she points at a rack filled with black and gray, gray, black, dark blue, black with a bit of red, but no bright colours at all.

Hello! Wakie, wakey! Isn't high visibility a priority anymore?

I'd hate to blend nicely into the background in the rain on my bike. Don't you?

So why do they discontinue something that works and replace it with the dull stuff?

Good luck to you fashionistas!

No comments: