Wednesday, March 3, 2010

As I said, WSBK is a new thing for me and I must admit that other than Haga and Vermeulen I really had no idea who was actually out there laying rubber onto tar. They just fly past at hair raising speeds and more or less distinguishable noise, but I was thankful for those huge screens, even though the commentary on the loudspeakers was often drowned out. The crashes are not a welcome sight to me, although many a punter gets a thrill out of those. However, I witnessed Haga and Reuben's collision right in front of me. Suddenly there is a cloud of dust, bodies skidding after machinery and then there is a frozen moment of disturbing anticipation, of disbelief, of disappointment, of hope, of best wishes, of stillness...and then they get up.
They get up!
Slowly, but determined to deny the crowd the exit on a stretcher, they walk towards each other...there is tension, an apology, a couple of orange clad bodies inbetween them, buffering the emotions, as they are led off the track.

The guy in Orange on the left is Big Al. I know, it's a bit dark and too far away, but you'll just have to trust me on that one. LOL

Ah I have to share another very funny moment...and ehemmm 'what happens on tour, stays on tour' so I'll mention no names or bike make. By the time we reached Khancoban it had been a bit or a spirited ride and the day had reached its top temps. Whilst I got some petrol the other riders rested under some trees opposite the servo in the shade, recounting the trip and stretching those legs. So, Mr X decides to change out of the wet wear into his Jeans and whilst he is standing in his undies, using the bike for cover, his sidestand had sunk into the soft, moist ground and the bike fell over. No damage, but his cover had gone in one foul sweep!

I did not notice any of this, but when I rejoined the group with a full tank, I was told about it and for the rest of the trip my imagination had me crack up thinking about it on more than half a dozen occasions.



This is where I ended up staying for the three nights. It was fun...even though at times I wished I had my own shower, but the atmosphere is very special and money can't buy that!

Cowes shops have some interesting items for sale. These blinged Wellingtons are now added to my wish list. Thank goodness my very limited luggage arrangements restricted me to only buying a jacket and a T shirt, or else I would have been in even more trouble when I got home.
A flock of bikers taking a dip at Cowes Beach. I wish I had taken those swimmers along, but then the weather changed...

The bikes were locked up on the tennis court over night. Some people actually brought bike covers. I thought that the 4am thunder storm was god's bike wash service, but she missed a few spots.

The bunk bed in the metal shed.

No comments: